Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14th!

March 14 is not a special day. I just didn't know what else to name this post and I realized that I have been silent for quite some time. What should I talk about? Hmm? I have not a clue. Let me think.

........

I've got it! Today, I shall write about keeping in touch with old friends from different states. It is not a hard thing to do these days, what with Facebook and smart phones, etc. It is easy to just log on to Facebook and type a quick message to someone who lives across the country from you. Not to mention texting. Omg, I am a textaholic. Ha, ha. Anyway, keeping in touch with people is great. But something to keep in mind is that you shouldn't let "keeping in touch" keep you from making new friends in your new town or city. You can't know if you are ever going to see those people again, even though you hope you might. Just know that you have to move on, you can't keep holding on to something you may never get back.
You know, in hindsight, I really wish I had listened to my parents when they told me all this. I had to learn the hard way. I kept holding on to people in Texas and Georgia and even though I asked my parents over and over to let me go visit them, they wouldn't let me. But what made me finally realize that I can't keep hanging on was when my mom said I could go to Georgia for a few days, but when the time came to buy a ticket and plan the trip, my dad changed his mind. And so did my mom. I was devastated. I layed on my bed, blasted the loudest music I had on my iPod, and I cried my eyes out. I was so angry at them, but as I lay there and think about it, the less irritated I was with them and the more irritated I was with myself. I was irritated because I was doing exactly what they had always advised me not to do. I had become attached and I could not let go. See my point? It causes everyone grief. You, your parents, the people who want to be friends with you, but can't because you can't let go of what you won't get back.
Let me explain that I am not saying you won't ever go back. I go back to Louisiana all the time, but because I have family there. That's a different situation. Maybe someday your parents will give in, or you will have enough of your own money to get you where you want to go. But if you know deep down, as I did, that that will never be the case, take my advice and let it go. Wishful thinking only hurts worse when you find that what you wish will not come true. Sure, it is great when wishes come true, but sometimes deep down we know that some (ahem expensive) dreams won't come true, maybe until later in life.
But, if you do know that once a year, or maybe twice, you will be able to go back to your hometown and see the people you love, just ignore me and my incessant rambling. ;)


Jules <3

1 comment:

  1. i dont care how long it takes im comin to michigan to see you... it might take a while but its my MISSION!!!! i kid you not!!!

    ReplyDelete