Friday, February 11, 2011

Here is something I struggled with.

When I moved to Georgia.  When I moved to Michigan.  And even to this day.  I struggled with letting my guard down and letting people get to know me.  Know why?  I was afraid that I would have to leave them.  I was afraid I would hear the word "relocation" and have to up and move again.  So I just stopped trying.  

Bad idea.

Here's what happens:  You look like a stuck up bitchhhh.  A goody goody.  Obnoxious, and full of yourself.  I know, because I had someone tell me so.  She is now one of my best friends.  We were walking down the hallway one day.  And we were talking about how we got to know each other.  She said that when she met me in Chemistry class, she thought I was exactly what I described above.  I thought the same about her, but, after more conversation, we realized that we were doing the same exact thing.  We were avoiding making new friends.  And that is how we became best friends.  

Now she has enlisted in the Navy and is leaving next fall.  I am saddened, but I am so glad that I let my guard down and she and I became friends, because she has been such a great friend and she helped me overcome a lot this year.  

When I moved to Georgia, I had some trouble with this whole "making friends" thing, but I finally got the hang of it and made some great friends.  But two years after that, I moved to Michigan.  I had even more trouble.  But I managed.  Michigan is a whole 'nother story...

Here are some suggestions if you are having issues with making new friends:  Talk to people.  Join in classroom conversations.  Be sociable.  Go to school functions (sports events, dances, etc.).  Make random comments to people.  Give compliments.  Do something to get the other students to notice you.  If they notice you, then there will be some who will want to get to know you.  

And that's all I've got for tonight. 

Jules =]

No comments:

Post a Comment